There are many homeowners who install a fence around their property without giving it much thought.
A fence is a fence….right? Wrong!!!
Some fences can actually make you a target for burglars, which is the opposite of what you really want and need to help protect you from burglars.
There are a few important things to take into consideration when deciding on the type of fence you need:
1. Doesn’t Provide a Hiding Place.
When deciding on the type of security fence you need, think “see-through”. You need to be able to see anyone attempting to enter your property and if they do get in, you want neighbours, the security company and passers-by to be able to see them.
High, solid security walls offer a great hiding place for burglars, and should be avoided, especially if you are living in a high crime area in South Africa.
2. Difficult to Climb Over.
There are ways to prevent a would-be burglar from entering your property. Here are a few important points to keep in mind.
• Make sure the fence is high, the higher the better.
• Another thing to check are the horizontal rails, as fences with too many horizontal rails can give burglars a foothold to help them climb your fence. The fewer the horizontal rails are, the more safe the fence will be from climbers.
• The top of the fence should be spiked or pointed at the top, or you can install razor wire, electric fencing, or ant-climb spikes on the top of the fence for added protection.
3. Not Easily Circumvented.
If a burglar can easily go under the fence, or cut through it, your security fence is worthless to you. Make sure too that your gates are closed and locked so that they can’t just walk in.
To avoid this type of thing happening, it is good to consider the following:
• Make sure your fencing is secured into the ground with concrete. Posts definitely need to be well secured in concrete. Although it is a bit expensive to have a concrete footing the whole length of the fence, it does offer the best security to prevent digging.
• Make sure that the steel used for the fencing cannot easily be cut through with, for instance, bolt cutters.
• A fence is only as secure as its weakest point, so make sure that you have very secure, heavy duty gates that match the security of the fence.
Always bear in mind: Your home looks more difficult to break into if you have proper security fences and gates. It serves as a mental barrier as it will be impossible to get to the house unnoticed and a quick getaway is then out of the question, as a burglar wants to be able to get away with whatever they have stolen as quickly as possible.
If you need advice, more information or a free quotation, please do not hesitate to contact us.